Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking, and related forms of gender violence. Sanctuary works to end gender violence through three key areas: direct service; outreach, education and training; and systems-change advocacy. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services.
Sanctuary for Families is currently looking for one 2L or 3L law student for our Family Law Project at the Manhattan Family Justice Center for the fall semester. The internship will be a hybrid model, with both virtual and in-person work at the Manhattan Family Justice Center office. The position entails a commitment of 10-15 hours per week. Start and end dates are flexible. The hours and days worked during the week are also flexible as we are happy to accommodate student schedule. The internship is unpaid, however, we will work with students who seek to obtain school credit or outside funding.
This position is open to students seeking a fall semester internship to assist in representing survivors of gender-based violence. Applicants should possess strong interpersonal, analytical and writing skills and have a commitment to social justice. Experience or interest in working directly with clients and on issues of gender violence is a strong asset, as is coursework in family law. Proficiency in a foreign language is helpful but not required.
- Under the supervision of an attorney, prepare petitions and other filings in family offense, custody, visitation, and other family court or matrimonial matters;
- Assist with the preparation of witnesses and exhibits for trial;
- Observe virtual court appearances for child custody and order of protection cases;
- Respond to clients who contact the legal helpline for assistance;
- Inform callers to the legal helpline about their legal rights and remedies;
- Perform other department or agency-related duties, and special projects, as needed.
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline below!
Applications are due by September 16, 2022.