Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking, and related forms of gender violence. Sanctuary works to end gender violence through three key areas: direct service; outreach, education and training; and systems-change advocacy. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services.
Position Summary: The Special Events Intern will provide valuable support to the Development Department and Events team at Sanctuary for Families, Inc. This internship offers a unique opportunity for an intern interested in gaining practical experience in a nonprofit environment while contributing to the organization’s mission. The intern will assist with various event-related tasks, including administrative support for the annual gala in June, tracking silent auction donations, help develop event timelines for the coming year, and other event related tasks.
- Provide assistance leading up to, during, and following the annual Zero Tolerance Benefit on June 5, 2024
- Assist with tracking Silent Auction donations and winners
- Work with the Events team to inventory and organize supplies and decorations for the coming event season
- Help plan and implement the Economic Empowerment Program graduation on June 27
- Collaborate with the Events and Individual Giving team on setting the 24-25 yearly event calendar
- Help develop new ideas and concepts for donor cultivation events
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Outgoing, positive personality and ability to interact with diverse internal and external audiences
- An interest in learning more about fundraising and event execution
- Ability to help troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and effectively
- Experience in MS Office Suite, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Sanctuary for Families
Value to Intern:
- Hands-on experience working in a nonprofit organization, contributing to its mission and making a positive impact.
- Exposure to various aspects of event planning and fundraising
- Mentorship and guidance from experienced event and development professionals.
- Networking opportunities within the organization and the nonprofit sector.
- Potential for future recommendations and references based on performance.
Work hours and location:
- Preferred Summer Internship dates for this particular role are Early/Mid May – Early/Mid July with flexibility to start earlier and extend into August based upon the student’s schedule and team needs.
- Work schedule will be set according to tasking and can be flexible.
- On-site work preferred at the MO in lower Manhattan, with some remote work possible.
- Summer or Fall rolling start date possible.
Note: The responsibilities and qualifications listed above are indicative and can be adjusted based on the specific needs and requirements of the nonprofit organization.
This internship is unpaid; however, we will work with students who seek to obtain school credit or outside funding.