Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking, and related forms of gender violence. Sanctuary works to end gender violence through three key areas: direct service; outreach, education and training; and systems-change advocacy. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services.
Position Summary: Sanctuary for Families is currently looking for a summer intern at Sanctuary’s EMPOWER Center. Launched in 2020, the EMPOWER Center is a collaboration between NYC Health + Hospitals – Woodhull, a New York City hospital located in the Brooklyn, and Sanctuary for Families, a service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender-based violence. By integrating medical, social, and legal services, we provide people with any experience in the sex trade with a “one-stop shop,” a hub where they can access all the services they need to lead healthy and independent lives. The intern will assist with intakes, thriving programming and community education.
We are looking for a commitment of about 10-12 hours per week from May 6th, 2024 through September 6th, 2024. The internship start and end dates are flexible and we can accommodate vacation time. Internship hours will be scheduled between Monday and Friday, with flexibility around the exact weekdays. The hours would also be flexible, excluding one mandatory meeting on Fridays from 3:00-4:00. Work will be done remotely with the option of coming in person if desired.
This internship is unpaid; however, we can work with students who seek to obtain school credit or outside funding.
Under the supervision, responsibilities may include:
Completing EMPOWER intakes and presenting to the EMPOWER team; determining client’s need for public benefits, employment, legal, childcare, wellness/recreation, medical, educational, housing, and psycho-social resources.
- Client Groups
Coordinating EMPOWER Thriving client groups, including facilitating groups, coordinating groups with outside facilitators, and co-training new facilitators on the issue of commercial sexual exploitation (CSE).
- Policy and Legislative Advocacy
Attending anti-trafficking coalition meetings and participating in legislative advocacy social media campaigns.
- Professional and Educational Development
Attending trainings and webinars on CSE, participate in weekly interdisciplinary EMPOWER team meetings.
- Bachelor or master’s degree candidates seeking an internship to assist survivors of sex trafficking.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and writing skills, with the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Commitment to social justice.
- Experience or interest in working directly with clients and on issues of gender violence
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and other common software applications.
- Proficiency in a foreign language, particularly Spanish, is helpful but not required.
- Self-motivated and eager to learn, with a proactive approach to tasks and responsibilities.