Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking, and related forms of gender violence. Sanctuary works to end gender violence through three key areas: direct service; outreach, education and training; and systems-change advocacy. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services
Sanctuary for Families is currently looking for one undergrad student for our Community Law Project at the Manhattan Office. The internship will be a hybrid model, with both virtual and in-person work at the Manhattan Office. The position entails a commitment of 15-20 hours per week. Start and end dates are flexible. The hours and days worked during the week are also flexible as we are happy to accommodate the student’s schedule. The internship is unpaid, however, we will work with students who seek to obtain school credit or outside funding
This position is open to undergrad students seeking a summer semester internship to assist in representing survivors of gender-based violence. Applicants should possess strong interpersonal, analytical and writing skills and have a commitment to social justice. Experience or interest in working directly with clients and on issues of gender violence is a strong asset, as is coursework in family law. Proficiency in a foreign language is helpful but not required.
- Support the Community Law Project (CLP) by participating in client interviews, helping attorneys with trial preparation, entering information into a case tracking systems, and filing documents in Court.
- Attend and observe court conferences and trials in Family Court.
- Assist clients with case managements needs.
- Provide administrative support for project attorneys, including maintaining client database and client files.
- Assist with the Legal Center’s data retention project.
- Attend and coordinate outreach events.
- Assist staff in recording, editing, and transcribing audio files for podcasts in a timely manner.
- Assist in create/Update digital databases with recently completed video/presentations.
- Assist in setting up hosts and guests for podcast recording.
- Performs any other department or agency-related duties as directed by supervisor.