The New York State Attorney General’s investigation of Governor Andrew Cuomo has revealed multiple and repeated allegations of sexual harassment and assault against eleven women, as well as a toxic work environment that has persisted throughout his three terms as governor.
Our elected officials pledge to uphold the rule of law and to protect human rights. Governor Cuomo has irrevocably broken this oath and severed the trust of New Yorkers.
The Governor’s disregard for women’s rights and equality cannot be tolerated. It is clear to us that Governor Cuomo is unfit for elected office and is no longer able to serve the people of New York. As a coalition of New York-based organizations dedicated to ending sexual harassment, violence, and discrimination against women we call on Governor Cuomo to step down immediately.
We also urge the authorities to hold Governor Cuomo and his office accountable for any and all violations of both state and local law, as well as the administration’s efforts to discredit and retaliate against the women who have accused the Governor of sexual misconduct.
It takes great courage to come forward with allegations of sexual harassment, especially against someone in a position of power. The public shaming and discrediting by the Cuomo administration and legal team create a chilling effect for other women to speak out and demand justice.
We stand with the survivors of Cuomo as well as all survivors of sexual harassment and violence. We believe you and we will fight for you.
- Taina Bien-Amie, Executive Director, CATW
- Yasmeen Hassan, Executive Director, Equality Now
- Lauren Hersch, National Director, World Without Exploitation
- Judy Harris Kluger, Executive Director, Sanctuary for Families
- Jane Manning, Director, Women’s Equal Justice Project
- Sonia Ossorio, President, NOW New York
- Lynn Shaw, Founder & Executive Director, Lynn’s Warriors
- Shandra Woworuntu, CEO & Founder, Mentari